David Patch
Served in 249 Signal Squadron (FARELF) 1970 to 1971
PATCH – WO2 David William Patch died 7 March 2009

Dave was Guernsey born and during the German Occupation he was evacuated to England. That generated a feeling of wanderlust so, in 1953 at the age of 14, he joined Boy Service at Beverley. He made life long friends there and until last year greatly enjoyed meeting them at Beverley Ex-Boys Reunions and recalling their many escapades.

He went on to serve in the Corps with 28 (Commonwealth) Brigade Signal Squadron (FARELF), 619 Signal Troop in Bielefeld, 252 Signal Squadron, 3 Division Signal Regiment and 16 Signal Regiment in Krefeld. In 1970 it was back to the Far East to 249 Signal Squadron for 2 years before a return to Germany for 5 years with 2 Division Signal Regiment. He ended his career in 1977 at l0 Signal Regiment.

In Germany, he met and married Brigitta and they spent 15 wonderful years travelling the world and when he ended his service with the rank of WO2 they returned to his beloved Guernsey. Unfortunately things didn’t work out and they separated, however they remained good friends.

Dave was fortunate in finding love again and he married Irene and his combined families therefore comprised daughters, Susi, Melanie, Tina and Julie and sons Paul and Graham, plus 8
grandchildren. He and Irene began their honeymoon at the home of a Dutch couple, Cor and Annemarie Quint, with whom Dave had made good friends whilst serving in Germany. Twenty-five years later they celebrated their silver wedding with them.

Dave and Irene ran a provision shop in Guernsey for some years but this involved long hours and a lot of hard work with little free time and Irene’s ill-health finally caused them to give up the business. They decided to enjoy retirement by going on cruises. During his last few years Dave divided his time between his families in Guernsey and Corby, Northamptonshire. He had been suffering from emphysema for some time and, having been very fit all his life, found it difficult to accept being ill. When this made travelling difficult he decided to live permanently in Guernsey but soon after returning, unexpectedly and with great sadness to many, he died in his sleep.

His family describe him as someone who was honest, straighttalking and didn’t suffer fools gladly – a fine, upstanding, kind, loving, and fun-loving man who made everyone feel special even when suffering from his illness.

The respect in which he was held is evident from the fact that the President of the Beverley Ex-Boys Association, Lt Col (Retd) Alan Davis and its Secretary Tony Hull, made a special visit to Guernsey to attend the funeral, as did the Dutch family.